Living On Singapore Time...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Our Adventure Begins

Our adventure in Singapore began on January 9, 2008. We left Tulsa on January 7th after saying good-bye to family and good friends. Our dear friends the Kittleman's, Scott's and Pawley's gave us a Going Away party a few nights before we departed. Saying good-bye to my family was one of the hardest things I've ever done. At 37 years old this is the first time I've lived apart from family except for college. We flew American Airlines to Dallas (1 hour) and Los Angeles ( 4 hours) and then Singapore Air direct (18 hours) to Singapore. The kids did wonderful!! God was with us just as He has been EVERY step of the way as we began to even explore this adventure!! Brady slept for 14 hours of the 18 hour flight and Carington slept 10 hours. All of our luggage except for 3 pieces and Brady's stroller made it. We left home with 9 pieces of luggage plus our carry-on's.



Robert was able to secure a place for us to live on a trip he made in November but we chose to go ahead and live in a Serviced Apartment for the first month while we waited for our air shipment and sea shipment to arrive. Most expats live a a service apartment while they wait for their things and/or find a place to live. They are called service apartments because they are fully furnished and serviced with laundry, breakfast each morning etc. Our's was on Orchard Street which is a very convenient location and in the heart of the shopping district.



I'd always heard the term "culture shock" but now I was EXPERIENCING it first hand!!! EVERYTHING was different! Transportation, grocery shopping, the way people looked, the amount of people in one space (ha-ha!!), the food. I could go on and on. The cultural map I was used to had changed DRASTICALLY! According to research, you go through different phases of culture shock. And I think my "honeymoon phase" occurred before we left Tulsa because from day one I was ready to go home. It didn't take much to start the tears flowing!! Just to let you know...I am doing much better now! I knew God had led us here but it sure was hard.

We've now been in Singapore for 10 weeks and everyone seems to be adjusting well. Carington is busy with school. She's made lots of friends and had several play-dates and spent the night a time or two. Brady is happy and a celebrity among the Asians. He stops them dead in their tracks wherever we go (not kidding!). I don't think they see very many blond, blue-eyed, chubby babies!! Robert is busy with work and the challenges that face being the Director for the region. And I am making lots of girlfriends and getting involved at church. I'm planning on being the Hospitality Leader for our MOPS group next year.

I'll stop for now but will do specific posts on our church, the school etc. so that you can know what our life is like here.


7 comments:

Nadra said...

Traci...I'm so excited that your blog is up. I was thinking of you earlier this morning. Post pictures of the kids when you get a chance. I miss your sweet, smiling face.

Love you guys and miss you a bunch!

Nadra

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

I'm glad you are finally up and running! I've so enjoyed our friendship here in Singapore and am thankful to God that we ran into each other that day at the New Parent Coffee! Welcome to the land of blogging:)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is well, your fam in P Creek sure is missing ya. Love the kids for me. I miss our phone talks, hoping you'll be here in June.
Peace
Amy

@nnie said...

Hey Traci,
Thanks for the update! I'll be checking often for new pics of Carington and Brady. God Bless you all in your big adventure!

Amy Scott said...

Good Morning, sister! I am so impressed with your blog. Sorry I am just now commenting. We came back from skiing late last night. I couldn't wait to get on and read your new blog. I'm so glad that things are going better. Please kiss and hug the kiddos for me and tell Mr. Robert hello.

Love and miss you!
Aim

Mitch & Marla said...

Hey girl, your blog looks great. I am so glad things are going well for you guys. We sure miss you guys! Give the kids hugs for me. You all have a blessed Easter and continue to keep us all updated.
Love you guys,
Marla

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci! Your blog is awesome! I check Annie's about everyday and since yours is linked to hers, I can easily keep up with my former walking buddy too! Tell your family hello and keep plenty of cold stuff on hand for your little guy! :) Chere'