Living On Singapore Time...

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chinese New Year




This time of year in Singapore is Chinese New Year. It is celebrated on the first day of the first moon of the lunar calendar (huh???)...anywhere from Jan 21. to Feb. 19. This year's celebration began on Jan. 26 and will last for 15 days. Living in this part of the world we have learned alot about the customs and traditions of Chinese New Year. It is a holiday filled with lots of superstition. I did not realize how superstitious the Chinese people were until living here. I am thankful that we serve a risen Lord and that the Bible tells me that " He is the way, the Truth and the life"... Oranges are big because they symbolize wealth...we've gotten I don't how many oranges everytime we go to the American Club...on the first day of the New Year they all wear new clothes and the day is spent with family...they don't believe in cleaning the house on that day because you will sweep away your prosperity...It's all about gaining wealth and prosperity...so they clean the day before...many of the children receive what is called a "hung boa" (pronounced like in the word out)...it is a red envelope with money...the lion dance is preformed...we got to experience that at the Club today...it's VERY loud with drums and cymbals- to scare away those evil spirits...Carington knows the story behind but I can't remember...wish I had a picture of it. I've posted some pictures of Carington in her Chinese dress. The kids were allowed to wear red or gold or Chinese dress to school before the break.

No comments: