...ever heard of that word before???? It was not a word I was to familiar with until beginning this "expat" life that we're in!!!
**** expatriate- person who temporarily resides in a country and culture other than that of the persons upbringing or legal residence
**** repatriate- to return to the country of origin
Right now we are expats but one day we will repatriate!!!!! So with all that said lastnight I went to a seminar presented by Robin Pascoe on her book titled, Homeward Bound : A Spouse's Guide to Repatriation. It was very informative! She spoke on the fact that moving back to your home country is often harder than moving abroad. Because when you move to a foreign country you expect things to be different and harder but you often idealize the thought of returning home. She mentions the fact that you forget that your friends have changed just as you have changed. You expect that life will just pick right up where it left off and that is not the case. The expected length of culture shock when moving overseas is 1 year but she says you can expect it to last 18months to 2years when repatriating. I tend to idealize situations and then experience a BIG let down when they don't happen as I had envisioned so this was SOOO good for me to hear. I bought the book and will tuck it away and pull it out when the time comes for us move Homeward Bound!!!!
Living On Singapore Time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
well, i know one thing... for US, there will be no letdown when you come back! We will be so happy to have you home. Interesting info, though. P.S. if you want me to work on your blog, send me the user name and password. (can't remember)
Would LOVE to borrow that book, as we will be repatriated in June/July. Sorry I missed that seminar, as I heard wonderful things about it.
Post a Comment